About Me

My photo
I'm a retired primary school teacher, who started paper crafting in 2008, when I had a fancy to make my own Christmas cards. Since then, I have tried all sorts of techniques and styles - and I kind of like them all. I have been lucky enough to be on blog teams and large design teams and to do a bit of freelance demonstrating - and I love the challenge of working with different products. My crafting style is very varied - from junk journaling and art journaling, bookbinding and journal making, to quilting and patchwork - and of course I still make cards. This variety keeps me interested - and my crafty stash growing!! I'm always seeking inspiration for new projects.

Wednesday 16 February 2022

Dome Window Card

As soon as I saw this die - Amy Design: Enjoy Spring Flower Border - I thought of a window box! And, of course, you need a window to put your window box on. 

I don't have any step-by-step photos of this one, but click on the picture for the video, and I will talk about the measurements and describe the steps here.

The base card is 5"x7". For the dome front, you need a piece that is 5" x 7 1/2", which you need to score 1" from each end.

Cut an aperture in this piece between the two scored lines, and slightly towards the top (I used a 4" x 5" rectangle die). You need a piece of paper for the window frame that is the slightly larger than the aperture - I drew around the outside of the die I used. 

Using a ruler, I marked 1/4" in from each side, then I marked the middle of each side and drew lines to create a cross. I then drew more lines 1/8" each side of this cross (it creates a 1/4" wide piece down the middle and across). Cut out the "windows" with a craft knife.

Attach a piece of acetate behind this, and glue around the aperture of the card.

To create the flowers for the box, cut the die out leaving a longer piece at the bottom. On a piece of patterned paper draw around the edge of the die and cut it out. This will give you a piece to fit behind (and frame) the flowers.

Once these are glued together, stick it to the front of the card, and add another piece of paper to create the window box.

You can decorate the flat parts to the side of the window, before gluing them to the base card to create the dome shape. It's best to wait until everything on the front of the card is dry before you do this.

Thanks for popping by, and I hope I have given you a little inspiration. Feel free to follow me here on my blog, or on FaceBookTwitterInstagram or Pinterest. For all the videos, pop over to the Hixxy Studio YouTube channel to subscribe. And FB lives are streamed on both the YouTube channel and the Hixxy Crafts FB page. The main items I use can be found on the Hixxy Crafts website - have a look under the Hixxy Studio tab.

Happy crafting,

Cxxx

2 comments:

Thank you so much for visiting my blog and leaving a comment!! I really appreciate it!! Cxx