About Me

My photo
I'm a retired primary school teacher, who started paper crafting in 2008, when I had a fancy to make my own Christmas cards. Since then, I have tried all sorts of techniques and styles - and I kind of like them all. I have been lucky enough to be on blog teams and large design teams and to do a bit of freelance demonstrating - and I love the challenge of working with different products. My crafting style is very varied - from junk journaling and art journaling, bookbinding and journal making, to quilting and patchwork - and of course I still make cards. This variety keeps me interested - and my crafty stash growing!! I'm always seeking inspiration for new projects.

Wednesday 18 July 2018

Mixing it up!!

Have been working on a few bits and pieces - really messy, mixed media type stuff. This is the first of my pieces. A canvas with the focal point being a gorgeous rose image. 

What I used
8x8 Canvas                      
White Gesso                           
Crafter's Companion Textures Elements Stamps- Words to Inspire 2
Brilliance Ink - Galaxy Gold
Memento - Espresso Truffle
Prima Finnabair Art Ingredients - Melange Art Pebbles
Metal Butterfly
Imagination Crafts: 
Starlight Paints - Clotted Cream, Topaz, Mint; 
Mix Media Ink Sprays - Light Blue, Sunshine, Dark Brown;
Structure Paste;
Starlight Wax - Diamond, White Gold;
A4 Stencil - Past Times;
Art Stamps - Distress Set 1;
Just Pearls - Antique Brown;
Magi Bond Decoupage Glue.


I started by wetting the rice paper to take out the piece I wanted for the canvas.
 I mixed Clotted Cream with white gesso, and covered the background.
I also mixed Topaz with white gesso and dry brushed this on, creating a vertical and horizontal texture.
I did the same with the Mix Media Sprays, to create a green paint for dry brushing on the canvas.  
I cleaned up the mess by spritzing my mat with water, and then smooshing a piece of card over the top.
 I'm sure it'll come in useful for something!! 
The border part of the stencil was all I wanted to use so I taped it off, and spread structure paste through the stencil onto the canvas.


As ever with me, I then got carried away and forgot to photograph the next couple of steps. So, once the Structure Paste was dry, I added the Rice Paper in the middle with Decoupage Glue. I then put the stencil back over and sponged Dark Brown Mix Media Ink Spray through, and over the Structure Paste.
I also used Topaz over the stencil to add depth. More Clotted Cream and Gesso were mixed, and used to stamp texture over the structure paste and other areas.

 With the script stamp, I used Diamond Starlight Wax to stamp onto the canvas.
The word "sentiment" was stamped once with Brilliance Galaxy Gold, and then re-stamped with Memento Espresso Truffle. I used the washi tape to help stamp in the correct place the second time.  

White Gold Starlight Wax was used to add highlights to the Structure paste, and also brushed on to areas of the rose. The final touches were: Just Pearls - Antique Brown, highlighted with White Gold wax, a metal butterfly and the Melange Art Pebbles.


Phew!! Have a few more step by steps in the coming weeks. Looking forward to sharing them with you. 

Cxxx

1 comment:

Thank you so much for visiting my blog and leaving a comment!! I really appreciate it!! Cxx