About Me

My photo
I'm a retired primary school teacher, who started paper crafting in 2008, when I had a fancy to make my own Christmas cards. Since then, I have tried all sorts of techniques and styles - and I kind of like them all. I have been lucky enough to be on blog teams and large design teams and to do a bit of freelance demonstrating - and I love the challenge of working with different products. My crafting style is very varied - from junk journaling and art journaling, bookbinding and journal making, to quilting and patchwork - and of course I still make cards. This variety keeps me interested - and my crafty stash growing!! I'm always seeking inspiration for new projects.

Sunday 29 July 2018

Bright and Beautiful - and a little quirky!!

Morning! Hope you are all well. The rain has finally arrived here - very welcome for the garden - and for just freshening up the air!!

The lovely Sue Baker is on Hochanda at 6pm with a fabulous new launch of some gorgeous texture pastes. Haven't got my hands on them yet, but thought I'd share another of the makes I did for my DT application. This was is VERY bright and a little quirky - and very different from my altered vase - but I kind of like it!!


What I used:
Starlight Paints - Hot Pink, Mediterranean Sky
Mixed Media Ink Sprays - Fuchsia, Light Blue, White, Sunshine
Stencil - 25cm x 10cm - Baby BubblesSmall canvas
Magi-blend solution
Gesso
Buttons
Prima Art Basics - Heavy Body Gel
Bottle tops and other embellishments from my stash
Pebeo Deco Matt - Naples Yellow, Lemon
Distress Oxide - Seedless Preserves
Visible Image sentiment stamp

I started by mixing the Starlights with white gesso for the background.
After applying the paint, I spritzed with water for a smoother finish.
For the next part I used an old cardboard box so that the spray didn't go everywhere. 
I then sprayed the canvas with Mixed Media Inks - Fuchsia, Light Blue and White. 
And stood the canvas up in the box so it dripped down. 
I dry brushed a bit more of the gesso mix over the top to lighten it up. 

 Then sprayed again with the White spray, before blotting with kitchen towel.
Structure paste was applied through the stencil, and I didn't need to colour this - it seemed to absorb the colours from the canvas - probably because I was too impatient to wait for it to dry properly.


Next step was to add the embellishments - I used heavy body gel to make sure they wouldn't move. I filled a couple with the gel too, so that other embellishments would sit on top rather than sinking in.  

I went over these with white gesso.
And as I didn't have a yellow Starlight paint, I mixed the Sunshine spray with gesso. 
Using Magi-Blend and the Fuchsia and Mediterranean Blue Starlights , I mixed a purple spray which I spritzed over the whole canvas.
At this point, I wasn't happy with the yellow - so had to dig into my stash and use Pebeo Deco Matt paints to liven up the canvas. 

I painted the same paint onto a piece of white card, and used this to create the butterfly, and to stamp the sentiment. 


The finished canvas is very in your face - but I think it fits the sentiment!!

Don't forget to tune in to see Sue on Hochanda at 6pm and 8am today - and also for 9am, 1pm and 5pm tomorrow. 

Take care,
Cxxxx

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for visiting my blog and leaving a comment!! I really appreciate it!! Cxx