About Me

My photo
I'm a retired primary school teacher, who started paper crafting in 2008, when I had a fancy to make my own Christmas cards. Since then, I have tried all sorts of techniques and styles - and I kind of like them all. I have been lucky enough to be on blog teams and large design teams and to do a bit of freelance demonstrating - and I love the challenge of working with different products. My crafting style is very varied - from junk journaling and art journaling, bookbinding and journal making, to quilting and patchwork - and of course I still make cards. This variety keeps me interested - and my crafty stash growing!! I'm always seeking inspiration for new projects.

Sunday 8 March 2020

Basting is boring!!

Today, I finally got around to basting my quilts. And, as the title of the post says, I find is boring and sooooo time consuming!! 

I decided to go with cotton sheets for the bottom layers, rather than the fleece. The quilts feel like they will be so much lighter as a result. I still intend to bind the edges of the fleece, so that they can be used for extra warmth in the winter! First step was ironing everything - I hate ironing - and it just took soooo long. But, preparation is everything!!


I then laid out the sheet and put the wadding on the top, pinning it in place around the edges. 

Next, I laid the quilt top over this, and again, pinned around the edge, and cut off the excess around the edges.


But, having had issues with the pins when I first started machine quilting larger pieces, last year I invested in a Micro Stitch "gun". This is one of the best little pieces of kit I have bought in a while, as I can sew the quilt without getting stuck by pins.  

So the last stage of basting was to micro stitch the layers together, smoothing it all out as best I could, while removing all the pins. So I now have both quilts ready for sewing!


Next stage is the stitching. I like this to an extent - it just depends how bulky it gets on the machine!! We'll see how we go!! 
Take care,
Cxxx


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for visiting my blog and leaving a comment!! I really appreciate it!! Cxx