About Me

My photo
I'm a retired primary school teacher, who started paper crafting in 2008, when I had a fancy to make my own Christmas cards. Since then, I have tried all sorts of techniques and styles - and I kind of like them all. I have been lucky enough to be on blog teams and large design teams and to do a bit of freelance demonstrating - and I love the challenge of working with different products. My crafting style is very varied - from junk journaling and art journaling, bookbinding and journal making, to quilting and patchwork - and of course I still make cards. This variety keeps me interested - and my crafty stash growing!! I'm always seeking inspiration for new projects.

Wednesday 9 March 2022

Dial Card

Hello! Today's make is a Dial Card - well, that's what I am calling it as an not sure it has a name. Anyway, this is from my Hixxy Studio FB live from last Friday, and you can see the video demo by clicking on the largest of the photos. I had a little brain fog during the demos, so will hopefully clear up any confusion that may result!

So, I have called it a Dial Card, as you can turn the circle, like a dial, revealing the different parts of the sentiment.

   


So, the base of the card is  made from a piece 5" x the length of the A4, which is scored at 1/4", 1 1/4", 4 1/4" and 5 1/4". This folds up to create a little "box" shape at the bottom. The piece for the front flap is 3" x 7", and is scored at 1/2" and 1 1/2". This sticks to the back of the flat part of the base, and the front of the box part, and is what the dial is stuck to.

  

I created an inky piece of card, using Speckled Egg, Cracked Pistachio and Peacock Feather Distress Oxides, along with some of the elements from All About the Girls by Hazel Eaton (Julie Hickey Designs), and one of the stencils from Elizabeth Craft Designs - Art Journal - SO40 - Pattern Stencil Pack. 

 

 

To create the dial, I used a 4" circle die, a 4 1/2" circle, and a 1" x 1 1/4" rectangle. I firstly cut a piece of card the same as the base with the larger circle, and a matching piece from a thin sheet of grey board. These were stuck back to back to strengthen the dial. I then and punched a hole in the centre, and cut an aperture using the rectangle die. To help find the centre of the circle, cut one from copy paper and fold into quarters.

   

I cut two circles from the inked background, using the smaller circle die. One was stuck onto a grey board circle. The other does not need a backing. The one on grey board is for your words. Take a bit more time than I did on the video, to work out exactly where to stamp the words from the All About the Girls set. On the other circle, stamp the large circle. Use the larger circle to work out where to cut the aperture in this part, before sticking these two pieces together.  

  

Make a little washer to go between the circles. I used a little circle punch and cut 6 layers of greyboard, that I stuck together. I then punched a hole in the middle with my Cropodile. Put a brad through from the front, pop on the washer, and add the smaller circle (with the words) on. 

  

The back part of the dial is then stuck to the card - making sure that the words are the right way up! 


I added some of the sentiments from the stamp set, and use Julie Hickey's Sweet Pea Alphabet set to cut the letters.

Thanks for popping by, and I hope I have given you a little inspiration. Feel free to follow me here on my blog, or on FaceBookTwitterInstagram or Pinterest. For all the videos, pop over to the Hixxy Studio YouTube channel to subscribe. And FB lives are streamed on both the YouTube channel and the Hixxy Crafts FB page. The main items I use can be found on the Hixxy Crafts website - have a look under the Hixxy Studio tab.

Happy crafting,

Cxxx

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for visiting my blog and leaving a comment!! I really appreciate it!! Cxx