About Me

My photo
I'm a retired primary school teacher, who started paper crafting in 2008, when I had a fancy to make my own Christmas cards. Since then, I have tried all sorts of techniques and styles - and I kind of like them all. I have been lucky enough to be on blog teams and large design teams and to do a bit of freelance demonstrating - and I love the challenge of working with different products. My crafting style is very varied - from junk journaling and art journaling, bookbinding and journal making, to quilting and patchwork - and of course I still make cards. This variety keeps me interested - and my crafty stash growing!! I'm always seeking inspiration for new projects.

Friday 5 June 2015

The Mirror Crack'd - Challenge 10 - Shadow Box

Well - May just flew by, and here we are in June. That must mean its time for a new challenge at The Mirror Crack'd. This month the lovely Shilpa is hosting - and our theme is Shadow Boxes.

When I first saw the theme, I knew that I wanted to make a sewing themed shadow box. I have loved sewing since I was a teenager - and my first machine was one of my Mum's old cast offs. As children, many of our clothes were hand sewn by my Mum. My sewing box contain many things that were left in my Nan's box when she passed away - Silko threads, her needlecase, embroidery scissors, buttons galore - and the pin tin that I just can't bear to part with as it would have at one time belonged to my Grandad - I can still picture him puffing away on his pipe. And the pinking shears were another donation from my Mum many years ago - they are not the best anymore - but another thing I don't want to get rid of.
Now, some of these things are a little too precious to use - so I improvised a little - and included some of my own bits and bobs too.
I started with an ordinary photo frame - one that had a very deep edge - and removed the glass as it was not needed. I rubbed the frame down and applied Vintage Photo and Walnut Stain Distress Inks. 
I wanted some vintage sewing images so went for a little mooch on the Internet where I found The Old Design Shop - Vintage Image Treasury which allows use of its' images for projects such as this. 
I selected some of the sewing related ones and printed them onto Crafter's Companion Printable Parchment to give them an older feel. I then Mod Podged them onto the back piece of the photo frame. 
Once dry, I trimmed the edges and applied some Vintage Photo DI. The printed cotton ribbons are from Fantastic Ribbons - and also had the DI treatment!!
After applying a strip of hessian across the middle, I replaced the back piece into the frame.
It was then a case of adding in all the bits and pieces. Some more of the images were mounted onto Kraft card embossed with Crafter's Companion Textures Wood Grain Embossing folder - inked with Vintage Ink DI. I used a couple of the cotton reels and filled a little glass bottle with some seed beads from my stash. Then I added the buttons - some old and some new - along with these fab hessian flowers and butterflies I got in Poundland!! I used a piece of calico to sew a mini sampler on my machine, and cut it with those slightly blunt pinking shears!! I then added one of my 'Stitched By Carole' labels - highlighted with a Tim Holtz Ideaology Ornate Plate. The scissors are a charm I bought ages ago - because I like them!! And of course, a little bit of lace to finish - and echo the vintage theme.

I have to say that I have really enjoyed making this shadow box - it felt personal and fun!! Make sure you pop over to The Mirror Crack'd blog to check out all the other inspiration from the rest of the DT. There's some incredible and inspiring work over there!!

I would like to enter this into:
Crafting from the Heart - Anything Goes
Dream Valley Challenge - Anything Goes
Come and Get It Challenge - Distress It

Cxx

7 comments:

  1. Gorgeous shadow box. The St. Bruno tin brings back memories of my Grandfather who also smoked a pipe at one time, I have to say it actually smelt lovely.
    Happy crafting, Angela xXx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Angela - I just remember my Grandad sat in his armchair, puffing away on his pipe - it seemed to always be hanging out his mouth!! Cxx

      Delete
  2. Fantastic vintage style, gorgeous!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kerstin - the site where I found the images has some fab vintage stuff!! Cxx

      Delete
  3. Ahhh Carole - this is soooo wonderful. I love it. So inspiring - makes me want to try something similar just to preserve some of these types of dear items. You did such a sweet arrangement. Thanks bunches for your lovely description too. Your project brought back some precious memories. j

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Joi. I really enjoyed making this - and as you said, it brought back some fab memories. Cxxx

      Delete
  4. loving all the euphrema you have used in your project and it has all been married up together perfectly - gorgeous hun xx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting my blog and leaving a comment!! I really appreciate it!! Cxx