About Me

My photo
I'm a retired primary school teacher, who started paper crafting in 2008, when I had a fancy to make my own Christmas cards. Since then, I have tried all sorts of techniques and styles - and I kind of like them all. I have been lucky enough to be on blog teams and large design teams and to do a bit of freelance demonstrating - and I love the challenge of working with different products. My crafting style is very varied - from junk journaling and art journaling, bookbinding and journal making, to quilting and patchwork - and of course I still make cards. This variety keeps me interested - and my crafty stash growing!! I'm always seeking inspiration for new projects.

Saturday 7 January 2012

New Year's Resolutions!!

I am notoriously bad with New Year's Resolutions!! Every year I intend to lose weight and get fit. Mmmmm - just the fact that I said "every year" should give you the idea that I never do. I said it last year, then at the end of January I was handed a letter at work warning me that I could be made redundant. That threw just about everything out of whack!! One year on, and I am learning to enjoy my extended leisure time!! I am doing supply teaching which is keeping some money coming in, but I do have a lot of time on my hands. My previous job was very active, so the resolution of losing weight and getting fit is even more required this year!!

So another resolution this year is to try harder to turn my crafting obsession into something that I could potentially make money from. I have been selling my cards to friends, family and at the odd school fete and the like for several years. I even have a website!! But I've not really made much of a go of it!! I do not expect to become rich, but if my hobby could become totally self funding then that would be a bonus.

Some of the money I made from Christmas sales I have used to buy some essential supplies (lots of sticky tape, glue etc), but I have also decided to try not to buy anything that isn't essential for commisions or specific cards that I have in mind. I have soooooo much stuff from kits that I have purchased in the past that I should be able to make a ridiculously large number of cards without buying anything else.

I also have a bit of blog follower envy!! When I look at the blogs of other people - especially the rest of the design team - they all have 100+ followers!! I have 28 (very much appreciated and loved) followers!! I resolve to attempt to increase by blog followers to 100 by the end of the year!! If it happens, I will have to think of something suitable to do!! But we'll cross that bridge!!!

And don't even get me started on Twitter - my OH has 240 (!!!) followers to my 45. What's really funny is that on my stepdaughters Twitter profile it says "My Dad knows more about Twitter than I do". So a target of 100 is on the cards here!! To be honest, I could have a lot more followers if I hadn't blocked all the spammers and weirdos that have followed me!!

Ooooo and all you crafty ladies, if you haven't already discovered HandmadeRyan - check him out!! He's also on Twitter!!!  

Anyway, to something more crafty - my sister has a passion for purple. So, when it came to making a birthday card for her birthday last month, I reached again for my Hunkydory Amethyst Butterfly Jewels. As the topper was square, I started with a 6" square card blank. I used a piece of the lovely co-ordinating card, mounted onto silver mirror card with a strip of white organza ribbon.

The topper and sentiment were mounted onto foam tape, before attaching to the card. I then used several clear gems on the butterfly, before glazing the gem border.


Oh, and one final resolution - I am going to try to blog at least once a week this year - and earn those followers the hard way!!!

Cxx

PS - Please don't hold it against me if I don't hold to any/all of these resolutions. Consider them a statement of intent, not a contractual agreement!!!

2 comments:

  1. A statement of intent not a contractual agreement! I love it! I to am hoping to use up all the stuff I have this year I made a good start last year but things slipped a little some things are just too good to bypass!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know exactly what you mean about resolutions, much easier to break than make lol.
    Have added another follower so good luck with reaching your target anyway. I don't have 100 yet so maybe it will end up as a race :)
    hugs Kimx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting my blog and leaving a comment!! I really appreciate it!! Cxx