About Me

My photo
I'm a retired primary school teacher, who started paper crafting in 2008, when I had a fancy to make my own Christmas cards. Since then, I have tried all sorts of techniques and styles - and I kind of like them all. I have been lucky enough to be on blog teams and large design teams and to do a bit of freelance demonstrating - and I love the challenge of working with different products. My crafting style is very varied - from junk journaling and art journaling, bookbinding and journal making, to quilting and patchwork - and of course I still make cards. This variety keeps me interested - and my crafty stash growing!! I'm always seeking inspiration for new projects.

Sunday 6 March 2011

Great minds think alike!!

So, am watching one of my favourite crafters on TV, and one of the creations she was showing was a large cupcake card!!
Great card I thought - just like the one I've just made for a commission!! Actually, what I really thought was "Damn - now when I blog this card, people are going to think I copied hers!! " Well, I didn't copy - but would like to think that great minds think alike!! So, here are the pictures....

And here's the science (well crafty) bit!! Firstly, the card itself. With most of my 8" boxed cards, I start with a large sheet of Centura Pearl Card - in this case mauve!! The icing on the cake is cut from purple Vivelle, with the cake case made from one of my ever present stock cupboard items - Bazzil Bling card!!

The lilac and purple background papers are from a really old stash of Papermania 12x12 paper pads, while the cream is (again) Centura Pearl.

I made my own template for the cupcake - have used it before, although this time I decided to concertina fold the cupcake case. All I did was enlarge the templates.
The large scalloped square is made using a "Colour My World" template. I really would like a larger die cutting machine, that will take the Grand Nesties, then I wouldn't have to cut these larger mats by hand. But until then, I will continue using these templates.

The front of the box is similar to the card itself - another thing I like to do with my 8" boxed cards. But this time, I stuck with a flat cupcake, and embossed Happy Birthday onto the cupcake case using Papermania Universal Embossing Folder - Greetings 2.

All the ribbon is from a range called Celebrate (Ribbon by the Spool). One of the cheapest ways I've found to feed my ribbon cravings!!!

The inside of the box is something else I always try to decorate - I think if you're paying for a large handmade card, there should be something special about it. And I've been told by several people that they are more of a gift than a card!! I'm happy with that!!
So, the next couple of weeks will see me having to get a wriggle on with another commission, but hopefully will have time for thinking about Mother's Day and Easter.
And on top of that, I've just bought some great new stamps to try out an exciting painting technique. Am hopefully going to be able to use it on my boxes and fridge magnets - and maybe my bookmarks too!! So watch this space!!
Aside from all this, my greenhouse is now ready, and my lovely husband has dug over the veggie patch we've created. So there will be a lot to do in the garden in the next few weeks. Have loads of plans of what I want to grow - whether they come to anything or not , we'll have to wait and see. Mmmm. Just had a thought of some crafty things I could do that might appeal to gardeners!! Anyway, I digress.
Just need to catch up on some sleep before all of this - it's very busy at work and I'm feeling exhausted!! It's hard to focus when I'm feeling like this - and to find some inspiration. But often just sitting in the midst of all my stash makes me feel like doing something - whether it's for a specific project - or just playing with materials and techniques.
So, will sign off now - and hopefully will blog a bit sooner next time!!

Cxx










































































No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for visiting my blog and leaving a comment!! I really appreciate it!! Cxx