About Me

My photo
I'm a retired primary school teacher, who started paper crafting in 2008, when I had a fancy to make my own Christmas cards. Since then, I have tried all sorts of techniques and styles - and I kind of like them all. I have been lucky enough to be on blog teams and large design teams and to do a bit of freelance demonstrating - and I love the challenge of working with different products. My crafting style is very varied - from junk journaling and art journaling, bookbinding and journal making, to quilting and patchwork - and of course I still make cards. This variety keeps me interested - and my crafty stash growing!! I'm always seeking inspiration for new projects.

Monday 15 February 2016

Day 46 - Free Motion!!

Evening!! Well, after my little play with faux leather, I decided to try and Free Motion Quilt it!! Now, as I hadn't tried Free Motion with my machine before, I thought I'd better have a go with fabric first. So I marked out a squiggly line on a piece of cotton and went for it.
And as you can see below, I found it rather tricky to stay on the line - so I went a totally "free" hand!!
And then I wrote my name on another piece and tried that - with better success. I was finding that the faster speed I had the machine going, the more even the stitch - provided I kept the material moving steadily.
So then it was time to have a go with my faux leather. I started with the one embossed with the Leaf Vein. And stupidly I decided to try to follow the vein lines. Well, that lasted about 5 seconds. I would end up almost trapped in one part of it - and then need to stop and start again in another. 
To be fair, though, the finished article is alright!!  On the other piece, I just went for random - as far as someone who likes order and symmetry can do random!!
However, I found it a lot easier to do the "just move it about and try to cover the majority of it" - than following lines. I will have to practice a lot more before I let this loose on a proper quilting project.

Well, now I have them quilted, 
I need to ponder on what to do with them now. Mmmmm......
Cxxxx

1 comment:

Thank you so much for visiting my blog and leaving a comment!! I really appreciate it!! Cxx