About Me

My photo
I'm a retired primary school teacher, who started paper crafting in 2008, when I had a fancy to make my own Christmas cards. Since then, I have tried all sorts of techniques and styles - and I kind of like them all. I have been lucky enough to be on blog teams and large design teams and to do a bit of freelance demonstrating - and I love the challenge of working with different products. My crafting style is very varied - from junk journaling and art journaling, bookbinding and journal making, to quilting and patchwork - and of course I still make cards. This variety keeps me interested - and my crafty stash growing!! I'm always seeking inspiration for new projects.

Friday 27 March 2015

Butterfly Mirror Frame

Morning - not long now until the launch of the fabulous Crafter's Companion Times Gone By CD and stamps. There are loads of shows on the way on Create and Craft with this Pick of the Week. Here's the list so you can plan your viewing!!
Today I have an altered mirror frame to share with you - one of those cheap ones from Ikea!
I started by printing one of the design papers onto Sheena stamping card, and then cut it down to size so it would fit inside the frame. I also cut an aperture so it would sit around the mirror in the middle. 
Although I didn't intend to paint the frame, I sanded it lightly and put a coat of gesso on to provide a surface for working onto.
I wanted the edge of the frame to stay black, so stuck masking tape all the way round to protect it from the glue and paper that I wanted on the top.
I printed 3 papers onto Satin Finish paper, and then tore them into pieces. 
Using Mod Podge, I started with the plain reddish paper on the edge (this one was created using the colouriser on the CD) , then I used the yellow, then the patterned one.
I didn't go too far in, as this would be covered with the card frame I cut earlier. 
Once dry, I sanded around the edges to remove the excess paper that was hanging over. I also inked them with Black Soot DI. I did forget to take a photo of the next stage which was to use some of the small stamps from the 'Shall We Dance' and 'Time Flies' sets to stamp around the edges. I used Black Soot - and removed some of the ink onto copy paper before stamping it on. 
The frame was distressed around the edges - using my Tim Holtz distresser - and inked with Aged Mahogony DI. 
The flowers are also printed from the CD - and inked with Aged Mahogony. The leaves are cut with Die'sire Leaf 1 and 2 dies.  
The images used are from one of the Card Companions - and I used some large, dark red pearls to finish it off.

Before I sign off, I just wanted to welcome my new followers on Bloglovin, Pinterest and Facebook. Thank you so much for choosing to join me in my crafty dabblings - and I hope that you will find a little inspiration. If you don't yet follow me and would like to, the buttons for Bloglovin, Pinterest and e-mail are on the bar at the side. And my FB page is Papercraft By Carole.

And don't forget to tune in to Create and Craft at 12pm to see the launch of this fabulous range!!
Cxxx

3 comments:

  1. Wow, stunning! Great job. Creative Blessings, Tracy x

    ReplyDelete
  2. A stunning sample Carole - thank you xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Fiona! I've been blown away with the amount of times it's been shown this week. The shows have been superb - you did a fab job! Cxx

      Delete

Thank you so much for visiting my blog and leaving a comment!! I really appreciate it!! Cxx