About Me

My photo
I'm a retired primary school teacher, who started paper crafting in 2008, when I had a fancy to make my own Christmas cards. Since then, I have tried all sorts of techniques and styles - and I kind of like them all. I have been lucky enough to be on blog teams and large design teams and to do a bit of freelance demonstrating - and I love the challenge of working with different products. My crafting style is very varied - from junk journaling and art journaling, bookbinding and journal making, to quilting and patchwork - and of course I still make cards. This variety keeps me interested - and my crafty stash growing!! I'm always seeking inspiration for new projects.

Monday 19 August 2013

CCM #98 - Fun In The Sun!

So, summer is supposed to be here - although it really seemed to come and go during the school summer term - I remember sweltering in my classroom with 32 hot and tired 8-year olds, and finding little respite outside under the trees in the grounds!! But, in the true British spirit, we never give up, and hope that another hot spell is just around the corner! And this time at Crafty Cardmakers we are hoping to encourage the sun out again with our 'Fun in the Sun' challenge!! 

Lin would like to see something related to summer fun - maybe holidays, or in the garden - basically something that you would do outdoors when the sun is shining that is fun, clean and legal!! 

Our sponsors this week are Saturated Canary who are offering two of their gorgeous digi stamps, and also Sir Stampalot!! 



I love camping - my family were never into it, but I first encountered it through Brownies, and finally caught the bug when I did my first DofE expedition. When I was single, I would head off on my own during my holidays, and my love of the outdoors grew. Now I am married, I have a husband who also likes the outdoors and camping, so we still tend to go most years - initially with my step-children when they were smaller - and now on our own. I have to admit that it has evolved from the days where I was happy to plonk my small tent in a field with little or no amenities. Now we have all the mod cons that electrical hook-up can provide. And a tent that does not require getting on hands and knees to enter!! 

I remember from my Brownie days, the whole toasting of marshmallows over the open fire - and later using the flam from my little gas burner!! I still love the charred outside with the really gooey centre!! So, when I saw the "Camping" digi from our sponsors, I just had to choose that for this challenge. I also relate to the longer socks and slip-ons thing she has going on - as that is generally what I end up pottering round a campsite in!!

So here's the card! I have used a piece of brown card stock from my stash, embossed with Spellbinders Dainty Dots grand MBossabilities folder, and folded into an A5 card. The rest of the card is from my scraps box. The orange and green patterned card is Kanban, whilst the lighter brown is Bazzill. I cannot remember where the distressed brown card came from. The sentiment is from a really old, cheapie set of sentiment stamps that I bought years ago, and the butterfly decoration was cut using Spellbinders Decorative Inserts 6. All elements were edged with Gathered Twigs DI.

The image was printed onto Joanna Sheen Elegance card (300gsm) and then coloured with Promarkers:
Logs/stick - Walnut, Cocoa, Henna, Terracotta, Tawny Owl
Fire - Pastel Yellow, Apricot, Ginger, Spice, Red
T-Shirt/Grass - Fresh Meadow, Apple, Grass, Forest Green
Skin - Almond, Ivory, Dusky Pink
Hair - Tawny Owl, Henna, Walnut
Socks/Shorts - Tawny Owl, Cocoa
Slippers - Soft Peach, Tequila Sunrise, Orange
I used Wild Honey DI to ink whilst the image was still in the Spellbinders Rectangle die, and then Cosmic Shimmer Aqua Twinkles on the flames, Sepia Accents on her hair, and Glossy Accents on the butterflies. Some little golden Kanban pearls finish it off!

So now it's your turn! Make sure you visit the Crafty Cardmakers blog to check out all the other DT inspiration. 

See you soon!! 
Cxx

1 comment:

  1. I'm happy to go caravaning Carole but I'm afraid I've never been a camper. Love your colour scheme on this card and the sparkly flames! Fab! xx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting my blog and leaving a comment!! I really appreciate it!! Cxx