About Me

My photo
I'm a retired primary school teacher, who started paper crafting in 2008, when I had a fancy to make my own Christmas cards. Since then, I have tried all sorts of techniques and styles - and I kind of like them all. I have been lucky enough to be on blog teams and large design teams and to do a bit of freelance demonstrating - and I love the challenge of working with different products. My crafting style is very varied - from junk journaling and art journaling, bookbinding and journal making, to quilting and patchwork - and of course I still make cards. This variety keeps me interested - and my crafty stash growing!! I'm always seeking inspiration for new projects.

Friday 20 July 2012

School's Out for Summer!!

The week has finally come to an end - and school has finished. It's quite a significant end of school year, this time - it marks the end of my first year back in the classroom after 7 years in outdoor education; my niece has finished primary school; and my Mum has retired from her job as a school secretary/admin/finance officer after 33 years!! My niece and Mum happen to be leaving the same school - so at the leaver's service today, Mum was surprised with a poem dedicated to her, read by my niece (her granddaughter). I wasn't there, but I understand it was pretty emotional. 

Here is the card I made for Mum's retirement.


I used an 8" square textured cream card base (have had it in my stash for ages - and can't remember where I got it), cream card from Creative Expresssions Neutral Pack, and burgundy card from my local market. As ever, the dies used are Spellbinders

For the edges of the large burgundy mat, I used Edgeabilities Classic Triple Scallop, with the inserts from the Classic Petal set. I also used the burgundy for the Lace Doily Motif. From the cream, I cut a Scalloped Square and used another die from the Lace Doily set.


The flowers are all Bitty Blossoms - large and medium - and I raised the sentiment and mats on foam strips to give them height.

The sentiment is Papermania Typography, stamped and coloured in Aged Mahogony DI. It was a little 'redder' than I really wanted, but I had nothing else anywhere near the colour. I sprayed the sentiment with gold Spray and Sparkle - still can't decide if it was a good idea or not. I finished it all off with flat backed pearls. Have just bought a load from Diamond Occasion in various colours - I think they are great value for money!! 

I would like to enter this into:
Samuel Taylors Crafts - Die Cutting
Fab n Funky Challenges - Make your own flowers

Cxx

2 comments:

  1. Gorgeous card! Thanks for playing along with Fab N Funky this week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh such a pretty card. I'm sure you're Mum will love it. Thanks so much for playing at Fab N Funky this week. pat K.x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting my blog and leaving a comment!! I really appreciate it!! Cxx