About Me

My photo
I'm a retired primary school teacher, who started paper crafting in 2008, when I had a fancy to make my own Christmas cards. Since then, I have tried all sorts of techniques and styles - and I kind of like them all. I have been lucky enough to be on blog teams and large design teams and to do a bit of freelance demonstrating - and I love the challenge of working with different products. My crafting style is very varied - from junk journaling and art journaling, bookbinding and journal making, to quilting and patchwork - and of course I still make cards. This variety keeps me interested - and my crafty stash growing!! I'm always seeking inspiration for new projects.

Monday 20 February 2012

Crafty Cardmakers Challenge 62 - A Recipe!!

This week's challenge is hosted by Kim, and she has given us a "1,2,3" Recipe to use!! She would like us to use the following:  1 Image (preferably stamped), 2 Background Papers and 3 Embellishments - at least one of the embellishments must be a heart. On your blog post, please state what your 1,2 and 3 are.

This week's sponsor is Di's Digi Downloads who is offering a $10 voucher for her online shop!! 

Now, when it comes to baking I can follow recipes no problem, but I have to say that I really struggled to follow this recipe. This is actually my second attempt at the challenge. With the first one, I managed the stamped image, and the two papers, but when it came to the embellishments, the card screamed out for paper flowers. I spent ages trying to work out how I could make 2 flowers and 1 heart work. And it wouldn't. So, I took a deep breath, and decided that I wasn't going to compromise with the card just to make it fit the challenge. It won't go to waste I can assure you!!

It also made me realise that I have a very specific way of making my cards, which maybe isn't that compatable with a recipe. I start with the image - this will often dictate the size and shape of the card (although when I do commissions, its often the size and shape that comes first). Once that is sorted, I pick out a selection of suitable backing papers and decorative card. Then I work out the layout (including if I want to use ribbon), making a final decision on the papers at this point. It is only when all this is sorted do I then even think about embellishments - and then I choose what I think enhances the card.

So, back to the drawing board, and a trawl through my limited stamp collection. Eventually, I decided on this Kanban Urban Belle (from the aptly named Love Hearts set!!!). The papers are both Brenda Pinnick. They came from a huge 200 sheet pad. I love the cheerfullness of the red paper, and thought that the mottled buttery colour of the second set it off really well. To give more definition, I used brown Bazzil cardstock to frame each layer of paper.


I stamped the image onto Neenah Card, using Stazon Timber Brown, and watercoloured the face, hands, hair and buttons. I stamped the image onto the two papers, and did a little paper piecing - not a technique I've used before, but thought it seemed appropriate to use the two papers for her clothes!! I finished her off with glossy accents on the buttons, and sepia accents on her hair.


I created my three embellishments by layering pink hearts onto frosted hearts and attaching them together with scraps of thin cream ribbon. The sentiment is from the same stamp set.

I really enjoyed making this - and did you notice - not one bit of die cutting in sight!! Must be a first for me!!!

Make sure you pop over to Crafty Cardmakers for more inspiration, and to enter your creations!! Look forward to seeing them all!!

I'd like to enter this card into the following challenges:
Card Makin Mamas - Birthday Card
Craft Your Days Away - Paper Piecing
Paper Sundaes - Birthday

Cxx

15 comments:

  1. This is adorable Carole!! Thank you for joining us at Craft Your Day's Away this time and good luck.

    Hugs
    Cathy
    xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a pretty card and a stroke of genius her holding the heart. Lots of lovely techniques here well done you !
    Marie

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's good to be challenged when we are creating as it helps us take a different look at what we do you are far more organised than I am when making a card as I just make it up as I go along! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful! I love the paper piecing - beautifully done!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful card, thank you so much for joining us at CYDA, hope to see you again soon, Gaynor DT :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Brilliant card. I must admit I had trouble choosing my embellishments and felt I needed more, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the card Carole. I know exactly what you mean about sticking to the recipe and I chose it lol.
    I look forward to seeing your first attempt.
    hugs Kimx

    ReplyDelete
  8. An adorable card, love the dweet image.
    Yvonne

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's a great card Carole & I especially like the paper piecing. You've coloured the image beautifully, she looks lovely.
    Sally x

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is adorable!!! LOVE all your paper piecing--and those hearts are amazing! LOVE this! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I really love this card, I think the paper piecing looks fabulous and the image is really cute (I own these stamps I should use them more). The three hearts finish the card perfectly.

    I did the distressing on my card with a distressing tool I got in a Making Memories kit years ago (tbh I'm not sure it's still available). I think you can get something similar from Tonic Studios.

    Feebsy
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Adorable pretty card, love the paper piecing. Thanks for joining us at Paper Sundaes
    Hugs
    Kat x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Carole - love your card and the image. Looks fab.
    Hugs
    Doreen xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Gorjuss wee card!
    Adore the paper piecing and the wee image holding the heart!
    Hugs Melly xxx

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great design Carole.

    I love the paper piecing. and you are right about how well it matches the design.

    The little heart button is inspired too.

    Lin

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting my blog and leaving a comment!! I really appreciate it!! Cxx